Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chief Theresa Spence and Bill C45



           Chief Theresa Spence, of Attawapiskat First Nation, is currently undergoing a hunger strike in Ottawa as a protest to the passing of Bill C45, which includes changes to the Indian Act and treaty issues between the government and Indigenous people of Canada. I chose to talk about this issue for my final blog post, as it is something that affects all of us as Canadians, whether we are men or women, or First Nations. I myself am someone of mixed European and Anishinaabe descent, and the fact that our government, under Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is proposing such changes, is frustrating and sickening. First Nation's people in our country are subjected to unfair treatment, and are often not even given the same rights as other Canadian citizens. Attawapiskat, which is not that far from where we are today, has been in frightening conditions for years, with the Harper government not doing anything about it. In fact, the Prime Minister has refused to visit Attawapiskat and is now refusing to meet with Chief Spence. The situation which is happening now in Ottawa, with Chief Spence underway with her hunger strike, and Bill C45, is something that I think is important for everyone to become aware of. This is something that is not just a First Nation issue, but affects all Canadian citizens. As social work students especially, we have to be aware of these political issues, and understand the unfairness that our government is showing.

Jessica

Image source: http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1073806!/httpImage/image.jpeg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpeg

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you! Changes need to be made and the government needs to start treating people of first nations as people and not an inconvenience, they are just as much human as the rest of the Canadian population. The situation in Attawapiskat is very disturbing and I wonder how the government would have treated this situation had it happened off first nations lands.

    -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a great post and it really opened my eyes. Its really upsetting that the government treats all First Nation people like this because there is no need for it. They are the same as everyone else and deserve to be treated the same. It is also embarrassing that our government is changing to the Indian Act and is still treating people unfairly especially since Canada is said to be so accepting and such a great country. It makes me wonder how the government feels when they pass these new changes since they are supposed to be turning the way they treat them around into a more positive manner. I really hope one day this all stops so everyone can be happy.

    By: Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice of topic Jessica. It's appalling that it has to come down to a hunger strike in an attempt to get the government to pay attention to such serious issues. The fact that she is willing to die for her community makes us realize what a sad state of affairs the relationship between Aboriginal people and the government is in. It all stems back to the Treaties and how the government reneged on those agreements. I'll be watching this story in the news closely to see the governments reaction.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent topic choice. I too find myself really distrot with the fact that there are people who live in third world-like conditions, in Canada! Harper has me terrified for the future. I also believe there needs to be some big changes done, and pretty immediately. Again, great topic choice. I have such a hard time fathoming all of this, don't even know what to say really.

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not believe it when I heard about Chief Spence and the actions of a hunger strive. All I can say is that I am praying for her, her family, and our people. What is it going to take for necessary action from Mr. Harper. I have a feeling that things are going to get a lot worst before better. I feel that there is going to be a lot nof Oka's happening. Stand offs with riots all over Turtle Island. We need to support the Chief and in doing so not only with words but with actions.
    Migzs Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess,
    Great topic choice. This subject has been in a few of the blogs I have read and I think that it is great that the attention to it is there. Although I am not educated on the subject it is not hard to say that I find it extremely unfortunate that this is happening. With my brief knowledge- and my recognition of the issue, I can only imagine those well educated on the topic and their recognition of the issues continually surfacing. It is great that you brought these issues to our attention.

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic, I had a group member write about the housing conditions in Atawapiskat it was alarmingly shocking. For the people that have to live in third world conditions in our country just goes to show the continuation of colonization and forced assimilation. The Harper conservative government doesn't seem to care about any of the issues being brought up about Aboriginals . The Chief that is on a Hunger strike for people not only demonstrates strength and courage but she is truly demonstrating honor.I have been following this story on the news and internet i really hope that she remains safe and okay.
    Thanks Allison

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am grateful that this topic is being introduced through the blogs. I was unaware of this strike. Reading these blogs has compelled me to learn more. To me, it is hard to come to terms with the fact that our government is still ignorant to First Nation issues. What more is it going to take to gain the support of the nation and to create action? It's almost 2013 and this is how these people are spending their holidays, I find myself increasingly disappointed with society and our government as of late.

    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. they are going to get away with it bcuz what they want to do is split the whole world into three peaces so they start off by taking over the main country first and save the thought ones for last meaninG IRAN,USA,CANADA,CARIBBEAN ISLANDS,NORTH KOREA,JAPAN ,RUSSIA. BUT THE PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND USED THEIR RIGHTS OR KILL THE PEOPLE WHO THEY SEE AS A PUPPET

    ReplyDelete